Gatsby just loves his Fruit Muffins, and we have so much fun baking them together. Although he’s quite the strawberry stealer, so Mommas beware! These muffins are so great for both of us, because berries are superfruits that are high in antioxidants and polyphenols, which help fight chronic disease, cancer, lower blood pressure, and reduce heart attack risk. Berries are also low on the glycemic index, making them a fabulous choice for weight management for both you and your pup.
Makes 12 Servings
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2 percent milk
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for topping
- 2 cups fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly coat cups of 12-cup muffin tin with 2 tablespoons coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, milk, yogurt, honey, and remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Add cinnamon and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are moistened. Add fruit and stir until just mixed.
- Fill each cup with 1/4 cup batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until each muffin is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle additional cinnamon over each warm muffin.
- Cool and remove from tins.
Serving Size: 1 muffin each for Momma and pup.
Note: If you have a small pup, he or she may only need half a muffin.