- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup multi-colored bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Mexican Seasoning blend (like Frontier Organic)
- 1 small container of plain low-fat Greek yogurt (to use as a sour cream substitute or low-fat sour cream)
- 1 small container of fresh guacamole (like Whole Foods) or avocado slices
- 1 small container of fresh or jarred salsa
- 1 cup of low-fat cheddar cheese
- Mixed greens
- 8 small whole-wheat or soft corn tortillas
- Marinate 4 chicken breasts in 2 Tbsp. olive oil and Mexican Seasoning blend and cover in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Place chicken in a crockpot and cover with sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and chicken broth. Cook on High for 3 1/2 hours (or on low for 7 hours). When ready, shred the chicken breast and mix with the vegetables and remaining liquid.
- Create a taco bar with your favorite toppings and make two tortillas per person. Makes four servings.
Note: If you’re in a time crunch, you can sauté ground bison or ground turkey stove top with Mexican seasoning, olive oil and veggies.
Note: Create a vegetarian option by sautéing the veggies and a few handfuls of spinach with olive oil and Mexican seasoning.