Makes 4 Servings
This is a simple meat sauce recipe that I learned from an Italian chef in Italy. Note that you can make a lighter version with ground turkey or chicken.
- ½ pound ground beef and ½ pound ground pork
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup carrots, minced
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced (1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 (16-ounce) can organic tomato sauce
- ½ pound whole grain or brown rice pasta
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized (about 3 cups)
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook the meat, over medium heat until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain excess fat and set on the lid or a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauté carrots, celery, and onion until translucent. Add garlic in the last minute of cooking.
- Deglaze with red wine and cook down.
- Return meat to the pot, along with tomato sauce and oregano. Once sauce is bubbling, return to low and simmer covered for at least an hour. Add fresh basil and salt/pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, reserve 1 cup or ladle of pasta water.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan and sauté the zoodles for approximately 3 minutes. Add the pasta and toss with a ladle of pasta water.
- Mix in the Bolognese and serve.
Note that you can freeze some of the sauce once cooled in a freezer bag.