Spring Shrimp Pasta Salad
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound brown rice pasta or whole wheat pasta (I like Tinkyada’s brown rice vegetable spirals.)
- 1 cup red, yellow and orange bell peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 lbs. medium raw shrimp, shelled, deveined, with tails attached (or 4-5 per person)
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic granules
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender to make a vinaigrette dressing (refrigerate left-over).
- Toss pasta with vegetables and 1/2 cup dressing.
- Separately marinate the shrimp in 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil, garlic and fresh parsley.
- Let shrimp and pasta salad chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
- Coat a nonstick grill pan with a little olive oil cooking spray and grill the shrimp for about 3 minutes per side. You can also sauté the shrimp in a frying pan if you prefer.
- Serve 1 cup of pasta salad over 1 cup of spinach and 5 shrimp.
- You can also make a vegetarian dish by omitting the shrimp and adding in 1/4 cup of raw nuts and 1/2 cup garbanzo beans to the pasta salad (or use your favorite raw nuts and/or beans).
- Experiment with your favorite spring vegetables.
- Substitute left-over chicken for shrimp.
- Makes a great healthy side at a BBQ!!!