How would you like to have an abundance of energy every day, feel light and healthy, not to mention look absolutely radiant? If the answer to these questions is a resounding “yes,” my second principle, love your greens, is for you. Here are a few reasons why greens are so amazing:
- Weight Management: Leafy greens are wonderful because they’re extremely low in calories, yet super high in nutrients!!
- Youthful Skin: Leafy greens contain antioxidants including beta carotene, which helps renew and repair your skin, which makes you look healthier and more beautiful. Greens also contain folate, a vital nutrient for DNA repair, as well as lutein, which balances the lipids in the skin, increasing hydration, elasticity, and protects against sun damage. Moreover, greens aid in clearing unwanted blemishes or skin imperfections.
- Natural Detoxification: Greens like kale, spinach, spirulina, alfalfa, chard, arugula, wheatgrass and other organic leafy greens help give a chlorophyll-boost to your digestive tract ridding your body of harmful toxins we all take in every day from the environment and foods we eat. As David Wolfe, the premiere expert on superfoods and longevity, says, “If you’re green on the inside; you’re clean on the inside.”
So are you sold yet?!! I hope you’re! And here’s a few easy ways to incorporate greens in your diet regardless of lifestyle:
- Start off your day with greens! Add greens like kale and spinach to your breakfast smoothie, omelet, egg-scramble or grain dishes.
- Ladies, this makes your skin glow!! Have a serving of an organic green supplement each day. I like to add it to my breakfast smoothie each morning, but you can just have the powdered drink in water too. An easily accessible brand is Garden of Life’s Perfect Food.
- Make a big salad for lunch or dinner using mixed greens as a base. And if you’re palette is not quite ready for the kale and spinach variety, use half romaine lettuce.
- Have a shot of wheatgrass a few days a week. A shot of wheatgrass contains the nutrients found in two pounds of greens. Thus, you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck!! And you can easily pick up a shot at your local Jamba Juice or health food store.
- Have a side salad at lunch and/or dinner. It’s a great way to get in your greens and the fiber will make you full so you won’t over eat.
- Have lunch for breakfast! You can always have a salad with a hardboiled egg and vegetables to start off your day. But hold the fatty dressing. I like to use 1 Tbsp. of Udo’s oil and 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar with fresh herbs. Newman’s Own also makes some great light salad dressings.