- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Olive oil spray
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, toasted
- 4 handfuls of arugula
- 1 Roman tomato sliced
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella
- 4 Tbsp. fresh pesto
- Mix beef with garlic powder, pepper, Italian seasoning and parsley. Shape into 4 patties. Cook over medium-high heat, either in a skillet coated with olive oil spray, grill pan or on a grill, for at least 4 minutes on each side. Add 1 slice of mozzarella cheese to each patty the last minute of cooking.
- Divide 1 Tbsp. of pesto between both halves of the English muffin, then top with the beef patty, 1 slice of tomato, and arugula. Serve with a mixed greens salad.
Note: If you’re following a Paleo diet omit the English muffin.
Note: If you’re dairy free, omit the mozzarella and make your own vegan pesto.
- 2 cups basil (tightly packed)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. salt
- Pepper (to taste)
First toast the pine nuts in a skillet until they are lightly browned. It will take about 5 minutes on medium heat, flipping consistently. Then add the pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, and basil to a food processor and begin blending on low speed. Slowly add the oil and pulse until creamy. Then add the lemon juice and pulse again. Keep refrigerator for up to a week.