- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 5 tsp. gluten-free or all-purpose flour (I like to use the brand: To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co.)
- 2 cups skim milk, divided
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 8 oz (1 cup) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- Extra seasoning (salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste)
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot then add rice. Cover then turn heat down to medium-low. Cook for about 45 minutes or until package directions. When rice has 5 minutes left to cook add broccoli and green onions on top to steam.
- Meanwhile, marinate chicken in extra virgin olive oil and extra seasoning. Heat a large skillet and sauté chicken until no longer pink. Remove to a plate and set aside then very carefully wipe out skillet with a dry paper towel.
- Turn heat down to medium then whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl. Pour mixture into skillet then add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, 7-10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat then add 3/4 of the shredded cheese, yogurt, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and stir until smooth.
- Preheat broiler. Combine cooked rice and broccoli mixture with cheese sauce then scoop mixture into a nonstick sprayed 9×13 baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is melted then let casserole rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: You can prepare this casserole ahead of time and just bake it in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes to reheat.
Note: Freeze the left-overs and reheat when you’re in a hurry.
Taken and Tweaked from Iowa Girl Eats