Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup cooked brown rice, cooled (healthy substitute for bread crumbs)
- Olive oil spray
- Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a large mixing bowl and shape into about 30 meatballs 1 inch across.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet generously with olive oil.
- Cook the meatballs for 5 to 6 minutes, working in batches if your pan is not large enough to fit them all, occasionally moving them around to brown all sides.
- Once all the meatballs are cooked, add a jar of low-sodium marinara sauce (preferably organic and with minimal sugar) to the pan. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce for 20 minutes. Serve over vegetables, quinoa, whole-wheat pasta, brown rice pasta, or in a lettuce wrap.
Note: Also makes a great snack served solo.
Note: If you’re following a Paleo diet, you can substitute the brown rice for finely minced zucchini.
Taken From: Bob Harper’s “The Skinny Rules.”