Summer is in full swing and the month of August is prime vacation time. If you’re getting ready to hit the road, you may be wondering how to keep your figure in check on your travels. I’m about to embark on a fun European adventure, but I’m still committed to keeping up with my lifestyle and you can too. I know you’re all shaking your heads at me, but trust me it can be done, while still enjoying some indulgences along the way. Come on!!! I’m definitely sampling some vino and pizza in Italy! ;).
Here’s a few tips:
- Get-up and GO be active. Be sure to get some regular exercise in every day. If you’re in a new city, put your walking shoes on and GO explore the sites. You can even track your steps with a Fitbit, Apple Watch or app on your smartphone. Even if you’re in a tropical paradise, there’s always lots of fun outdoor and water activities to get your heart rate up. Many resorts have state-of-the-art gyms or you pack some residence bands to get a workout in anywhere. Trust me you and your body won’t feel as bad about that extra daiquiri (or two) at the pool!!
- Focus on eating fresh whole foods. Overall keep processed foods to a minimum and include fruits and veggies. Don’t waste your money at the airport, sundry store or mini bar and over eat lots of empty calories, like chips and peanut butter cups. Save your indulgences for something that is actually worth it!
- Be prepared with healthy snacks. Pack raw nuts, trail mixes, protein powders, protein bars, whole-grain crackers and almond butter packs. You can always find some fruits and veggies to compliment these healthy options or make a trip to the local market.
- Indulge in moderation. If you have reservations at a wonderful dinner spot, have a lighter lunch like a salad with lean protein. Share high calorie foods, like a cheeseburger and fries, with a friend and include a mixed greens salad on the side.
- Don’t forget to pack your medications and supplements!! They might be difficult to find, especially when you’re traveling abroad. You can buy a vitamin or pill case at your local pharmacy to make transporting a breeze.
- Don’t stress about things going on back home. You are on vacation and it’s all about YOU! Everything will be waiting for you when return. Give your body and mind the much needed rest it deserves. Catch up on your sleep, 7-9 hours a night. Live in the moment and have fun. Vacation is the prefect time to practice saying “YES”!!!!!