Snacking can be beneficial for your body, as long as you snack healthfully. Food fuels us to keep us energized but if you go too long without it, you will definitely feel a slump (for most of us, it happens in the late afternoon). Therefore, to keep your metabolism humming and your energy levels up throughout the day, try to fuel yourself every four hours. You can do this by snacking smartly. Doing so will help you attain (and maintain) your weight loss goals.
A smart, healthy snack combines a lean protein with a healthy carb – not chips or white bread – but a fruit, vegetable, or whole-grain. Pick one from each list for a healthy, mid-meal snack.
- 1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened almond butter
- ½ cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 slices turkey breast
- ¼ cup hummus
- 1 hardboiled egg
- ½ cup canned tuna
- 1 piece of part-skim string cheese
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- ½ cup blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
- ½ cup raw vegetables
- Whole grain crackers (2 Wasa, 4 Ak-Mak, 3 Flackers)
- ½ cup cooked oatmeal
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened fruit
- ½ whole wheat pita
- 1 piece sprouted grain Ezekiel bread
- 1 brown rice cake or 2 brown rice thins
What’s your favorite combo from the attached lists?