Eating vegetables is beneficial on many levels! They provide an excellent source of nutrients to keep your body healthy and help reduce the risk of some chronic diseases. Here are how some of the nutrients work for you:
- Dietary fiber helps reduce blood cholesterol and may lower the risk of heart disease
- Potassium helps to maintain a healthy blood pressure
- Vitamin A helps keep the skin and eyes healthy
- Vitamin C helps to keep the gums and teeth healthy; and it aids in iron absorption
- Folate (folic acid) helps the body to form red blood cells
Vegetables are also naturally low in fat and calories. Consuming more vegetables in your day helps crowd out other foods that you may want to eat (that aren’t low in fat or calories!).
In light of this, here is my challenge to you:
This week’s ECW challenge is to get in 5 servings of non-starchy vegetables per day.
Watch my video for ideas on how to get more vegetables into your diet: